The School of Shred with Tom Willmott
Tom Willmott (@tomwillmott) is the head coach of the park and pipe program at Snow Sports New Zealand. Tom leads a team of coaches that looks after ~20 athletes from the very elite, including winter olympic gold medalists Zoi Sadowski-Synnott and Nico Porteous, to 11 and 12 year olds in the national development programme.
Tom is a former snowboard competitor and national champion, has a Professional Doctorate in Elite Performance, a Master’s degree in Physical Education and a Bachelor’s degree in Sports Coaching.
In this episode we discuss:
- Tom’s deep connection with the mountains;
- The feeling of ‘flow’ and why Tom loves to chase it;
- Month long summer holidays camping and traveling though Europe as a kid;
- Coaching and studying all over the world;
- The evolution of snowboarding;
- How to coach risk-taking;
- Designing learning environment to optimise progression;
- The School of Shred
- Tom’s reflective practice; and
Connect with Craig: