This conversation in with Michael Jennings, Director of Healthy Body at Athlos Education, where he provides virtual and on-site professional development and support for physical educators.
He is also a certified strength and conditioning specialist.
With a Master’s Degree in both secondary education and exercise physiology, Michael specialises in physical literacy, long term athletic development and the holistic education of all students.
In this conversation, Mike shares his thoughts on what physical education should be for, the value of P.E. in the uncertain times we’re living in, his framework for developing students across a wide range of ages, and the big problem we face when we focus our attention on physical fitness.
We also discuss:
- The magic of a holistic learning experience and why we should celebrate the less obvious moments more;
- How our past experiences colour what we believe in today;
- The importance of understanding cognitive development;
- Coaching students with different skills and abilities using the constraints-led approach;
- How Mike thinks about assessing movement;
- Why foundational movement skills are important for more than just organised sport;
- Building quality relationships with kids to increase motivation;
- Barriers to creating trust and why it’s important to walk the talk; and
- Mike’s ultimate vision for P.E. in 5 years time.
You can say hello to Mike on Twitter here.
If you enjoy the show, please subscribe using your favourite podcast app. I’d also encourage you to head over to iTunes and give the show a rating as it helps to share the show with more people.
Listen on Apple Podcasts
Listen on Spotify