This conversation in with Chris Bullen, a leader in coach development at High Performance Sport New Zealand.
Chris has been working in education and sport for 45 years.
In that time, he’s provided education for coaches across a wide range of team and individual sports, coached Badminton at the highest level, and taught in a number of schools, inclduing time in the East End of London in the 1970’s.
In this conversation, Chris and I go deep into the art of coaching, including;
- Being kind and showing empathy;
- The importance of authenticity in Chris’ work;
- How to provide meaningful coach development experiences;
- Testing assumptions;
- Being a purposeful (grand)parent;
- Changing the sporting culture in schools;
- The coach-athlete relationship and the importance of establishing a connection;
- Living your values;
- Being mindful about your behaviours;
- Talent development and how we can spend our time, money and effort wisely;
- The subtly of asking great questions;
- Why change is so hard; and
- The value of attention in a highly distracted world.
If you enjoy the show, please subscribe with your favourite podcast app. We’d also encourage you to head over to iTunes and give the show a rating as it helps us to share the show with more people.
Thanks so much for listening!
Listen on Apple Podcasts
Listen on Spotify
Listen on Stitcher